The narrow gauge railway ran between Wangaratta and Whitfield and the signs along the road are all that remain…
The Whitfield Narrow Gauge Trail although now a ghost, is of historical significant. The line has been progressively dismantled upon closure, the last section having been lifted in 1956. Precious little remains of the actual track and what is left is steadily disappearing and will be lost if we do not act now. The majority of the old formation is faintly visible on the western side of the Whitfield-Wangaratta Road. The only reminder are the Rail Name Boards at each station and the occasional Mile Marker.
Opened in 1988 Closed in 1953 Length 49.1 kms Stations 17
It was the first of four narrow gauge lines in Victoria. It was unlike the other lines in that it was built through mostly flat, open, agricultural country, following the King River. The 49.1 km line was built as a narrow gauge line because it was thought that it might be extended into the mountainous country to the south, but this extension never happened.
One of the proposed extensions was to Tolmie.
The line was opened in March 1899, and was the first line to close, in October 1953. The line relied mostly on local agricultural traffic, and opened with a daily mixed train. By the 1930s this had been reduced to a weekly goods service, and stayed at this level until the railway closed. There was only one lineside industry, a dairy at Moyhu, and the majority of stations were name boards at road crossings.